Lady of the Lord

Wednesday, August 6, 2008

What would God think of me?

Being a new Christian, there's so much that I don't know - don't understand. For example, in my day-to-day life, it's often difficult for me to realize the far reaches of God's awesome power. "Of old hast thou laid the foundation of the earth: and the heavens are the work of thy hands." -Psalms 102:25 To think that he shaped not only the very earth that we live on; every mountain, plain and valley, but also me?!?! And to try to wrap my mind around the power he has in every single aspect of all of our lives...it's amazing!

He formed with his own two hands all the features of my body, the curvature of my cheekbones, the color of my eyes, my fingers and toes. He knows me better than I know myself! "O LORD, thou hast searched me, and known me. Thou knowest my downsitting and mine uprising, thou understandest my thought afar off. Thou compassest my path and my lying down, and art acquainted with all my ways. For there is not a word in my tongue, but, lo, O Lord, thou knowest it altogether." -Psalms 139:1-4 Anotherwards, there isn't anything that I've done or said or even thought that he doesn't know about...or will know about for that matter.
I'll be driving down the road when someone cuts me off and inside my head I'm calling that person all sorts of names (because my daughter's in the car) and suddenly it pops into my mind, "Oh, no." That kind of thing really makes you re-evaluate your life.


And that's what I've been trying to do. Re-evaluate my life. My whole life. What I say, what I do, the clothing that I wear, the way I raise my daughter, my private thoughts...everything. Before I was born again, I never gave those types of things very much thought. Basically, whatever felt good to me or whatever I thought other people would approve of was what I would decide to do. If I was out with a group of friends and they were cussing and making nasty remarks about the strange
r sitting across the bar I would join in. But when I would go to dinner with my in-laws I wouldn't dare talk like that! I purposely wore revealing tops that left little to the imagination, along with low-rise jeans that barely covered my bottom. When preparing myself to go into public I was constantly thinking about how I could dress or do my make-up to make sure that I looked "sexy". But when anyone would stare at me I would feel this mix of emotions. I was happy to get the attention, but I felt as if they were looking at me like a piece of meat on display at the butcher shop. I loved it when guy would comment on how hot I was, but I also felt that I could no longer be actual friends with him. And if another girl came up and told me that I was pretty I automatically assumed that she must be jealous or had alterior motives.

Not surprisingly, and as a result of my behavior, I soon began to see my 2 year old daughter trying to emulate me. She would look at herself vainly in the mirror for long periods of time. She would refer to herself as sexy. And tried to act more like a 20 year old than a 2 year old. People, children are walking sponges! They are constantly absorbing EVERYTHING!

So, I began to ask myself more and more, "What would God think of _____?"
  • What would God think of the way I'm dressed?
  • What would God think of the music I'm listening to?
  • What would God think of my friends?
  • What would God think of how I've raised my child?
  • What would God think of my favorite television show?
  • What would God think about all of my possessions?
What would God think of YOU?

We know his standards. They're in the Bible. The Ten Commandments for starters. Let's see.
  1. Thou shalt have no other gods before me. (I practiced Buddhism and was at one time an Atheist.)
  2. Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image. (Oh, you mean like that shrine I made for J.T.T.?!)
  3. Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain. (I really messed that one up!)
  4. Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. (Does sleeping off a hangover count?)
  5. Honour thy father and thy mother. (I've disrespected my parents more than a time or two.)
  6. Thou shalt not kill. (Well, I've never killed person. But I've thought about it.)
  7. Thou shalt not commit adultary. (I've cheated on boyfriends and lusted after men.)
  8. Thou shalt not steal. (I shoplifted something once.)
  9. Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor. (I can't think of a time. But I'm sure I must have.)
  10. Thou shalt not covet. ( I've been envious of my friends, family, celebrities...)
I've messed up so much in the past. I still mess up. But what's important to me and to God is that I'm doing my best to live the way he wants me to. I'm not going to lie. It's very, very hard. The more I try to be godly the more I feel myself separating from the world. But I've come to realize that I don't want to be part of this world. More than anything I want to be part of the His great and glorious kingdom! God loves us no matter what. If I was the saintliest of saints or the worst of sinners, He doesn't care. I can't say the same for the world. To the people who know me, they could love me or hate me, take me or leave me. Their love is not unchanging or everlasting. God's is!!! And I'm so grateful for that. So what better way to show my appreciation for the Lord's unending love for me than to live the way He wants me to live...FOR HIM.

To those of you reading this, ask yourself some of these questions and be truthful with yourself. You can't decieve God...why decieve yourself???

Now, make a change.






Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home